Thursday, March 25, 2010

Helpless

I mentioned Alex's broken arm; but, that wasn't the only event that happened in a very short weekend! Our poor cat had an adventure of her own.

Sunday, the birds were calling, the sun beckoned, and my little Chicken Nugget sat eager to venture out side. I don't let her out very often; but, it was so lovely, I couldn't say "no."

Later, after our family walk and dinner, I remembered Chicken Nugget was still outside. I called to her, but heard no response. No meow, no jingle from her little bell, nothing. So, I shut the door.

A few minutes later, I tried again. Still nothing. I was beginning to worry. After a few more tries, and a couple walks up and down the street yelling, "Chicken Nugget, here kitty, kitty, kitty," I still couldn't find her. As my mind wondered, I began to worry. Is she hurt? Is she lost? Where is my kitty?!

At about 10:30 p.m., Jake found her. For the most part, besides being anxious and a few other injuries, she was o.k.. Do you know where she was? In a tree. A very tall tree. She was about forty-feet UP in a Cotton Wood tree. Remember all those commercials and movies about firemen rescuing cats from trees? They don't because, "Eventually, they come down."

After calling dispatch, animal control, and speaking to three different veterinary offices, all with the same conclusion - my seven-month-old house cat was stuck - there was nothing I could do. I was frantic. After all, it's not like I wasn't trying to get her down; I just couldn't do it on my own.

Finely, after twenty-five hours of worry, my hero stepped in and saved the day! Jake ascended the twenty-eight foot ladder, nearly to the top. He was hanging on to the tree! My neighbor, Keith, taped a bunch of poles together with a roller brush at the end. Standing on the ground, he began rubbing and poking Chicken Nugget. I thought she was going to fall! But, she climbed down to Jake, and now we have our kitty back!

I did see a parallel to this situation, though. We're all here, living life, doing what ever it is we do, with the goal to return to our Heavenly Father. The only catch is - we can't do it on our own. It's not like I wasn't trying to get my cat. I just couldn't do it by myself. I needed help. I needed someone else. It wasn't until Jake stepped in and rescued my cat, that I was able to have her back. When it comes to this life, all that I can do isn't enough to return to my Heavenly Father. But, because of the Atonement, and all the things it makes possible, I can live with Him again. I am grateful for the Atonement; and, I'm grateful that I have a loving Heavenly Father who helped me understand it a little better.

2 comments:

Angelina said...

I am glad that your kitty is back. When we went to the fire dept. four scouts they told us that they just spray the cats with water to get them to come down from the tree.

Krystal said...

That's a good idea! Next time, if there is a next time, I'm pulling out the hose. :)