Monday, March 8, 2010

Clean Out Your Inbox

Alright, the time has come. This is the day I will clean out my Inbox. What about you? Do you have an Inbox that needs cleaning?

Friday, my grandma called. We talked for a minute, and then I asked, "Grandma, did you get the last e-mail I sent, with the Chili Sauce Recipe?" "No," she responded, "I haven't got an e-mail from you in a very long time." Hmm, that's interesting, because I haven't received a response from her in a "very long time." Suddenly, it dawned on me, "Grandma, will you check your Spam list and see if that's where my e-mails have gone?" She didn't know what Spam was; so, I had the opportunity to check it for her.

Long story short, when she opened her e-mail for me, I discovered hundreds of messages - most of which were unopened. After a brief search, I found my little messages buried in the Inbox. Grandma just couldn't "see" them.

This was a huge light bulb moment for me. That Inbox is like life - full of the things I allow to fill it. My question is, are we burying things of importance in the mess of non-importance? Life is full of good things, but is the good crowding out the great?

The more I think about it, the more I realize how many countless hours are spent getting us preoccupied with things that don't really matter, and believing they do. I don't think making time for what matters most will be easy, but, I feel like it can be done. Start small, end big. Clean the Inbox.

What about you? Do you have an Inbox that needs cleaning?

2 comments:

Kassie, Aaron and Boys said...

I loved this, thanks for your great post!

Melanie said...

I love your advice in a question!!!You should write a write a book with all of it.