Monday, March 22, 2010

Alex's Great Fall

Oh what craziness has befallen us this last week! I'm not even going to get into the cat right now.

Last Friday, Alex missed a rung on the bunk bed ladder. After an amazing fall, and without landing on either arm, he managed to break both bones in his left forearm. WOW!!! The break was so bad, the pediatrician wouldn't set it. X-rays were taken and sent directly to the orthopedic surgeon; and, an appointment for surgery was scheduled six hours after Alex's last meal. Poor Alex still had to wait almost four hours.

While we were waiting, Jake, and a neighbor, gave Alex a blessing. I am so grateful! When we arrived back at the hospital, the woman we registered with was talking all about Alex's surgery, and how unusual it is for a Dr. to hand her a packet and say "we're having surgery today." But, as fate would have it, or rather it was a huge blessing, he ended up not having it. The surgeon set the bone and it was good! Hooray for Alex!

After Alex woke up, he was so mad at Jake! (Jake is the one who gave him to the Anesthetist). For the next hour, he'd either cry, bury his head, and try to get away from Jake, or ignore him completely! It was kind of funny. Jake even tried to entice him with a shake, but it did no good! Who would have thunk?

Friday, he has more x-rays and will get a new soft cast with a little color. Oh what joy! But in all seriousness, I am so grateful it wasn't worse! I just hope he doesn't figure out how to hit people with it. :)

1 comment:

Angelina said...

Oh, I am so sorry. It is always a bit unsettling to have those emergencies happen in life. I am so thankful for the gospel and for blessings to help us. As for the hitting, I think it will only take once and it will hurt so bad he won't do it again. (I know I tried with my broken arm.)