Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pancake and Waffle Mix

Today, I thought we'd do something fun with our food storage. I like mixes and think they're very convenient. I'd also prefer to make my own because: one, I typically have everything I need in my pantry; and two, it's cheaper to make my own then buy pre-made mixes. I have a lot of mixes - everything from pancakes and muffins to breads, cookies, meat, and beans. They are wonderful. The book I like to use, which I borrowed from my in-laws, is Make-a-Mix by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward, and Madeline Westover. (I included the link just so you could get an idea of what's in it. Click on the book to see).

Pancake and Waffle Mix


2 c. powdered milk (can use buttermilk powder if desired)
8 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients with wire whisk until evenly distributed. Pour into airtight 12 cup container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool dry place. Makes about 10 1/2 cups Pancake and Waffle Mix.

Pancakes

1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp. oil
1 c water
1 1/2 c. Pancake and Waffle Mix

Mix all ingredients in medium bowl and cook on hot greased griddle. Add fruit or nuts to batter, if desired; and, enjoy with your favorite syrup.

Waffles

2 1/2 c. Pancake and Waffle Mix
2 c. water
3 eggs
1/4 c. oil

Preheat waffle iron. Mix all ingredients and bake according to waffle iron directions. Before cooking, and if desired, add fruit or nuts to batter.

For fluffier waffles, and if you have the patience, whip your egg whites until stiff, and fold gently into batter.


I have two more recipes to add, but we'll get to that later.

No comments: