Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cloth Diapers

This may sound totally crazy to a lot of people, but I wanted to do a post about it anyway. Back in February, I made my family switch from using disposable diapers to cloth diapers. (Am I crazy or what?!) I had a couple reasons for this. The first had to do with preparedness. In order for my family to have a year supply of diapers, we would have needed to purchase 42 cases. Where in the world do we find room to store 42 cases of diapers?! Not to mention the price: 42 x $20.00, not really possible. And then there's the whole size issue: what sizes and how many do we purchase of each one? Disposable diapers were not an option for storage so I said to myself "Well, we can store cloth diapers; but, if I'm going to store them, I'm going to use them." And that was that.

After much research and debate, the one I finally decided to use was the Bum Genius because of convenience. The wash tabs (where the Velcro tabs attach for washing) have worn out and it's only been six months, but the rest of the diaper still works fine. (A few of the reviews I read mentioned this issue, and because of their price tag, I wish they would last longer; but, that piece would be easy to replace).

It took six months of using them to break even, but I think they're worth it. (And after using these, I'd even start using prefolds 'cause the whole diapering issue is so easy)! Here's a diagram of the diapers I bought.


Here's a couple links I checked out for cloth diapers. Seriously though, for a plethora of information, instructions, free patterns, and supplies, just Google cloth diapers. You will find a ton!!!

Diaper Pin
Cotton Babies (Where I ordered Bum Genius. I also bought some from a shop in Riverton).
Tallulah Baby
Very Baby
(Tallulah Baby diaper pattern - similar to Bum Genius - $10.95)
Very Baby Blog
(Diaper making tutorials)
Celtic Cloths
(One of many free patterns on line, but don't actually know how it works).

No comments: