Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Unexpected Post

Today, I received this letter from my aunt via Grandma. Thanks guys! It has links to alternative ways of cooking. Check them out for ideas.

Dear Family,

I was talking to [my son] about other ways to cook if the power is out, or you don't have natural gas for some reason. I'm looking for inexpensive ways because not everyone can afford a $2 - 400.00 solar oven. I believe these copy cat ideas are great.But as good as they are if we haven't acquired the materials for them,we may not be able to locate what we need, I remember when we had an ice storm 3 years ago, we had no gas to heat or cook with and the interstate was shut down leaving City Market with almost totally empty shelves. It was an eerie feeling realizing had it been a prolonged event like what happens back in the Northeast almost every winter, we would have been in a pickle.

I'll remind everyone about rocket stoves--which require only small amounts of twigs and branches.

Also, a chaffing dish. I have bought one at Sam's for $25 dollars and the fuel is only $12 for 12 containers with a lot of heating ability. I just bought one at DI also. And a person can easily rig up a small metal stand to put your own pans on if you have purchased the fuel.

This is what I'm excited about. Solar ovens. Here is a link that I hope will inspire everyone to try this out. And if you can't afford a windshield shade, the biology professor at Mesa State, who is also a bishop here in GJ, made one with cardboard and heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Here are some websites that deal with this:

Here are the websites for Wend DeWitt's you tube classes and her recipes for solar cooking:

MOM

No comments: