Thursday, January 28, 2010

Decisions Decisions

I've been doing a lot of research lately. One of the things I read said I need to let the cat out of the bag. Really, it told me that - in slightly different terms. We've had this thought, something we need to do about our family. I told Jake I wasn't going to bug him about it any more. Then, he decided to have this crazy dream. He woke up in the middle of the night and said "not in this life" and went back to bed! Can you believe that? This is Jake we're talking about after all...

So what is this all about?! We're going to have a baby! Well, it might not be a baby. We've decided to adopt. We don't know who or when it will happen or how it will happen; but, we know we're going to do it. Remember that crazy post I wrote about a week ago about having faith? It had to do with this whole decision.

I called LDS Family Services the day I wrote that post. We pretty much have no chance at adopting through them. Joan said that because of our specific circumstances, "[we] have better chances going through a different agency." That's O.K.. I didn't feel like they were the right agency anyway.

On to the research. Lots of research. Are we going international, domestic, what agency, fundraisers, grants - I mean, how are we going to pay for this?! It's a good thing it felt so right before we saw price tags!

So, what have we decided? International - absolutely! Jake was excited about Brazil, (I was too) but some of the countries requirements will be a little hard to meet. O.K., a lot hard to meet. Haiti would be awesome but we're not old enough and have too many children already. So that leaves us with the one that I keep coming back to. Ethiopia.

3 comments:

Angelina said...

WoW! That is neat you want to adopt. I had thought maybe we could help with the kids from Haiti. Do you have to be a certain age and have a certain number of kids.

Krystal said...

To adopt from Haiti, you, or your spouse, have to be at least 30; although, I've seen 35 on some sites. If you have more than two children living at home, you have to have special permission from the Haitian Government. Wasatch International, in Ogden - wiaa.org, will petition the government on your behalf if you are serious. They say the government "is known to make exceptions." In the wake of the earth quake, adoption is suspended, but their are lots of agencies who are ready to go as soon as it opens again. I also watched a clip on a modern "Piedro Pan" which would bring thousands of Haitian children to the United States for adoption. Who knows, maybe they'll be more lenient on their requirements too!

Lots of adoption help and information is out there, but if you're interested, I think the best place to start is your knees.

Good luck on your decision!

Melanie said...

You are such an inspiration! The Lord will provide a way to your new little one. Love you lots!!!