Monday, April 19, 2010

Garden, Garden, Who's gonna Garden?

This photo is from USU's Utah County Horticulture Page

My sister just sent me a photo of all the little plants they are going to plant in their garden! Hooray for the salsa garden! I'm going to try seeds this year. If they die, like last year, I'll just buy plants too. Here's a list of what I've got so far:
  • Basil - Sweet
  • Bell Pepper - California Wonder and Grand Bell
  • Spinach - Giant Noble
  • Mustard - Tendergreen
  • Dill - Long Island Mammoth
  • Cucumber - Marketmore and National Pickling
  • Zucchini - Dark Green
  • Tomato - Brandywine Pink, Beefsteak, Rutgers-Select, and Large Red Cherry
  • Broccoli - Calabrese
  • Cauliflower - Snowball X
  • Squash - Straightneck Early Yellow
  • Watermelon - Sugar Baby
  • Cantaloupe - Imperianl 45
  • Mystery Pumpkin (We just saved these seeds)
  • Aster
  • Larkspur
  • Zennia - Dwarf Sprite and Liliput
  • Forget-Me-Nots
  • Alyssum
For great information on gardening in Utah, check out USU's extension: Uintah County, Salt Lake County, Utah County. (If you live in a different county, click on any of the three links, find the home button in the center of the page, click on it. Enter your county in the page URL in the address bar. And voila! It's a little confusing, but it will work).

Good luck and happy gardening!!!

2 comments:

Angelina said...

That sounds like so much fun! We decided that we like the Better Boy tomatoes better than beef steak for canning. They grow almost just as big, but in less time.

Good luck. I hope they all grow and don't freeze!

Krystal said...

We grew better boys last year for canning. I don't think I've ever had a beef steak, so we'll see what happens. I might need to get your tomato canning recipe, because all my canned tomatoes were bitter. It was so weird!

I hope they don't freeze too!