Monday, September 21, 2009

More Than Just a Yard Sale

I had been planning to have a yard sale all year long. But, after visiting with two of my neighbors, and both mentioned wanting to have one, I decided to promote a neighborhood yard sale. Not just a neighborhood yard sale, but a ward yard sale. (Sorry to the two small areas I missed with fliers). After planning around community events, school starting, holidays, and ward activities, I was finally able to decide on a date. It was no picnic though - it changed three times over the course of two months. I was afraid people would lose interest, but most never knew about the changes.

Jake and the kids were GREAT! They helped make fliers and deliver them. While we were out, we were able to chat with neighbors, and meet some for the first time. I also got to speak to other members of the ward I'd never met because they'd call to ask questions.

Finely, the week arrived. Most of my family had the flu, but I was going to do this. We put the add in the paper and began collecting. Do you know how much we had? TONS!!! We collected 32 boxes of items! It was great! I had a hard time parting with some things, like the Cabbage Patch heads, and bodies, that I've been saving since elementary school because eventually I will get around to making them. Ha! Probably not, but I really was saving them for that reason.

My neighbor Windy was good support. She kept telling me she was proud of me for getting rid of so much. I really am a pack rat. This was very hard! Actually, it started out hard, and became easier as I went, which was a real blessing from the Lord.

So...yard sale day! I have no idea how many yard sales there were. I heard there were a lot, but I didn't see them. Later that night, my bishop's wife asked if ours went well. Well...let's see:
  • I was able to clean house, or at least the garage. It was liberating!
  • My neighbors were able to clean house too.
  • We were able to socialize with friends and neighbors that either aren't members, or not active.
  • Because of the yard sales, some ward members who weren't planning on coming to our ward activity that night came.
So, was the yard sale a success? Absolutely! We made just over $50.00, but for the reasons listed above, I can't even explain how happy I was. I told Jake that I used to feel like that all the time, and he said "it's because you used to do that kind of stuff all the time. When you were in Institute, that's all you did." He's right! I don't know what made that experience so different; but, to feel that way again was a tender mercy from the Lord and I'm glad we had more than just a yard sale.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

That is so great! I love it when it all comes together and works out well.