Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Love the Fall!


I love the fall! Don't you? It is SO fun and beautiful! You should have seen the canyons as we went driving along their winding roads to and from my parents house this last week. The trees were beautiful! Know what we did while there? I loaded the car with veggies from our garden and took the kids to can nummies! It was CRAZY!!! My dad called me a kitchen "fixture" 'cause I never left. All together, we did: tomatoes, corn, beans, dilly beans, jalapeno jelly, pears, pear jam, apple sauce, apple butter, cherry jam (earlier), and peaches. It was a lot! My mom asked me what I learned from the garden this year. I learned we need to plant more corn next year; and, I think I'll freeze it because it took almost THREE hours to process a batch! Blah!

Today has been such a crazy strange day! The big frost is coming tonight, so I have this weird anticipation of everything being dead in the morning. I harvested all the tomatoes on my vines and picked the last of the peppers, beans, and zucchini. And sweet little Mercedes, who has been sick all day, lined up all the pumpkins in the living room window. Most were small enough she could lift them, but there was one she needed help with.

I also took the children to our bishop's brother's garden and helped harvest some of the veggies there. The wind was blowing like crazy and the kids got cold, but they had fun anyway. Then the young men loaded it all up and took it to the food pantry for their busiest day of the year - tomorrow!

And do you know what else I did today?! I made sourdough bread. Mmm, it is so good! I think I'll put the recipe on here some day for all of you wonderful people to try, 'cause I know you will love it!

I really do love the fall. I love the colors and the spices and the chill...as long as I don't have to be in it too much! Don't you?

Happy harvesting!!!

Picture curtesy of Country Living
But I wish my porch were that exciting :)

1 comment:

Angelina said...

Wow, Canning momma. You are so good. I love the fall as well. But I wish we could have more fall before the winter starts!