Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Inconsistent Bran Allergy Returns and Spaghetti Sauce

Well everybody, I've had an experience cooking with food storage that I want to share with you. It's a little long, so bear with me.

For the last six months, I have been getting so sick and we had no idea what it was from. It's been AWFUL! Every week since December I've been dealing with horrible, very bad, no good abdominal pains. There were so many different factors, different things going on, we couldn't pin point the problem. Finely, last Thursday - the only day since I started this blog that I didn't post - I called my husband and said "Jake, I need help." He asks"Do you need me to call a doctor and set up an appointment for you?" "No, I need help with breakfast." I had barely been able to get downstairs to find the phone and had been laying on the couch sobbing. My three kids weren't quit to the crazy starved stage, so they were o.k. for a little bit. Although, it doesn't take much to get there in the morning considering the oldest is four.

Jake came home with cold cereal, which we don't normally buy 'cause air is cheaper and just as filling; but, it was perfect for this morning. He went back to work, set up an appointment for me, called our neighbor to watch our children, and took me to the doctor at 11:00. (I felt bad that he wasn't at work; but, he takes care of his employees and they take care of him. They are a blessing and don't even know it).

At the doctor we found out something horrible that had to do with our diet! I hadn't even told the doctor what we had been eating. I told him all my symptoms, what had been going on, everything. He left for a second, came back, told me what the problem was, gave me a prescription, and said the best way to deal with the situation was to avoid high-fiber foods. (For the sake of understanding, we'll just call this thing an allergy). I pretty much have a bran allergy.

What?! This news made me cry, seriously! I bawled! Do you know why? Because, since December we had been doing everything with whole wheat! I can make GREAT whole wheat breads, cracked wheat meat patties, mock hamburger, graham crackers, cakes, cookies...you name it, and it's awesome! Come to find out, this whole time we have been experimenting and adjusting is what has been making me sick! Uhhhh!

I am so grateful to find this out now - a time when we aren't dependent on our food storage! I am grateful to know because we can plan accordingly and learn to cook with other grains. I'm also grateful it's not Syliacs Disease (which I don't know how to spell) because at least I can still eat processed white flour. What a blessing knowing is, even though I was miserable for six months!

So, when it comes down to it...eat what you store, and store what you eat. You never know what you're going to find out.

And now
on to today's recipe
...dun...dun...dun...

Spaghetti Sauce
This is from my parents, and it is wonderful!

Brown:
1-2 lbs. hamburger
1-2 bell peppers
1 onion

Add:
2 pkgs. *spaghetti seasoning
garlic, to taste
pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
a "pthuu" of sugar - this is my mom's secret ingredient in everthing! Just sprinkle a little in.

Stir in:
4 cans tomato sauce
up to 4 cans water

Simmer till noodles are done and enjoy!

*If you don't have spaghetti seasoning, try making your own. Just click here.

No comments: