Sunday, November 30, 2008

Prairie Land Pot Roast

1 boneless beef shoulder pot roast (2 lb.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 bottle Catalina dressing, divided
2 large onions, sliced
2 lb. potatoes, cubed
1 lb. carrots, sliced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (I just sprinkle on dry parsley 'till it looks good)

Here are Kraft's instructions:

Season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Brown meat in large heavy pot or Dutch oven on high heat in 1/4 C. dressing, turning to brown all sides. Add onions; stir to brown.

Add remaining dressing, potatoes, carrots and enough water to come three-fourths of the way up meat (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups). Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.

Remove meat from pan; slice meat thinly against the grain. Serve meat and vegetables topped with pan gravy. Sprinkle with chopped parsley just before serving.

This is what I do:

In crock-pot, layer: carrots, potatoes, roast. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley. Pour on dressing and place onions on top. Cook 'till done. (Although, right off the top of my head I don't know how long that is. If it's gonna be a long time before we eat, I throw it on low. If it's five or six hours away, I throw it on high. I also use as many vegetables as I want and what ever size roast I want). Just use your best judgment and make sure it's cooked all the way through! This is super easy and always excellent!

No comments: