Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Household Hints and Tips

Know what's horrible? Do you know the feeling when you're used to wearing something, like a ring or watch, and suddenly find it missing? Do you feel naked without it?! That's how I feel right now! My writing callous is gone! Can you believe that? I had this little piece of dry skin on my right ring finger the other day. It was bothering me; so, I pulled it off! Then to my dismay, I looked at my finger and saw this little, soft, pink patch that I don't remember seeing - ever! I know I've been out of school for almost six years now, and I know I don't write as much as I used to. But this? You guys don't even know how sad this makes me. It was like a proudly worn badge of honor - this little callous on my finger. How many papers I wrote! I was like the essay-writing queen!

Because of my writing reputation, people would ask me to review their papers. Do you know what I would ask them? "Are you sure?" "Yes." Then I would tell them "This paper will come back with more ink on it then you've ever seen your English teacher write." (You should have seen their faces when I said that and then again when they received their papers). Now it's gone! I might have to start writing in my journal more, instead of typing on this blog; 'cause I don't have callouses on my fingertips from typing. Uhhhh....

Anyway, I just returned home from a very fun and informative Provident Living class (Enrichment Night). It was wonderful! Everyone that went shared hints and tips that help make their lives a little easier. Remember, these have all been tried and proven successful! Some sound a little strange; but, supposedly they work. Here are some of my notes. If they don't make sense, just leave me a comment.

Hydrogen Peroxide
  • add a little to potted plants to kill gnats
  • cleans blood off clothes - just poor it on and wash (don't let it sit too long)
  • great as a cleaner (counters, tables, etc...)
Spit - blood removal from clothes (if it's your blood, your spit will work best)

Rubbing Alcohol - use for cleaning dingy light switches, window frames, garbage cans, etc...works great!

Window Cleaning - cloth diapers and flour sack dish rags don't leave lint behind

WD40 (Water Displacement Formula 40) - great for removing oil and grease, good for cleaning stainless steal pots, use to loosen rusted screws (make sure you have the exact size screwdriver for maximum torque)!

Naptha Solvent - great for cleaning oils (ie melted crayon in dryer and crayon in clothes).

Gum Removal - peanut butter, egg white, ice.

Food Storage use - everydayfoodstorage.net

Marker and Pen Ink Removal - aerosol hairspray

When cooking rice or meat, cook an extra serving and freeze in the freezer for use later.

Meat Breading - use Bisquick - don't worry about eggs or flour, just dredge the meat in the Bisquick and fry or bake

Foil Baking Bags - throw the meat in with veges and let bake in their own juices - Yummy!

Spray Pam on cheese grater to keep cheese from sticking to it.

Add oil to boiling water for cooking noodles - helps prevent sticking and boil-out

When measuring shortening or butter in a measuring cup, place saran wrap over the top to lift out easily.

Window Cleaner - mix three parts vinegar to one part water

If key wont go in key hole, rub a graphite pencil in it or spray WD40

To clean kitchen grease for tops of kitchen cabinets, spray with Scrubbing Bubbles. Step down, grab rag, and wipe off.

To clean blinds, spray with Scrubbing Bubbles, stand blinds in shower, and spray with shower to rinse.

If you have mice holes, place a ball of steal wool in the hole. The mice wont eat through it because it will kill them.

Place unpasteurized honey on burns and bee stings. (You can also use tobacco for injuries like cuts and burns).

Hang a bag of water with a few pennies in it over your doors and windows to keep flies from coming in your house. The light reflections bother their eyes, so they stay away.

Place a small cup of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap in it to kill fruit flies. The vinegar attracts them, the soap kills them.

To make quick cookies, make dough. Use cookie scoop to form cookies on a baking sheet. Place in freezer. When frozen, stick in freezer safe container. When ready to cook, place on pan and follow baking directions.

When making dinner, fill the sink with hot soapy water. When you finish using a dish or utensil, just place it in the water. They can be washed really quick and put away after dinner.

No comments: