Friday, September 3, 2010

Krystal's Marinara

I came up with this sauce today and it is fabulous! I wanted to use fresh tomatoes from my garden because we have a few and they'll go bad if I don't eat them. The best part about this is all my kids like it!

2 T. olive oil
2 T. dehydrated onion
1 t. garlic powder
3 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes*
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1 T. dry parsley
2 t. dry basil
1/2 t. dry oregano
1/2 t. dry thyme
1/4. t. dry marjoram

Begin by heating the olive oil, onions, and garlic for about 30 seconds in a pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. When the marinara began simmering, I started heating up the water for my noodles. I let the sauce simmer and thicken until the noodles were done cooking.

*I was aiming for 3 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes, but by the time I was done, I had closer to 4 cups. I also pealed the skin off the tomatoes that were more ripe and left it on the ones that were not as ripe.


*****Edited to say - I didn't like the tomato peels in this, so I think next time I make it, I will chop the tomatoes and process them in a food processor or blanch them first to remove the peels.

No comments: